Protect Your Family February 14, 2019 0 Comments Business

Protect Your Family

If your home uses natural gas as a fuel source for the clothes dryer, water heater, oven or furnace, you are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. As a colorless and odorless gas, carbon monoxide is a waste product of the combustion process. If your appliance is malfunctioning, it could be making too much carbon monoxide. That gas is heavier than air, and it could be making you feel sick. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, fatigue, confusion, sleepiness and a feeling as if you have the flu. Now is the time to protect your family with a battery carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide gas can also get into your home if there is a blockage in the gas appliance’s ventilation system. A closed flue, bird’s nest or crack in the ventilation pipe could allow the gas to seep into your living spaces. The gas poisons you by displacing oxygen in your red blood cells. Your brain and the rest of your body do not get enough oxygen, so you start to feel sick. If too much carbon monoxide displaces oxygen, you lose consciousness. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly.

One way to protect yourself and those you love is with a battery-powered carbon monoxide detector. These detectors sound an alarm if they detect carbon monoxide in the air. You should have one outside of every bedroom and on every level of your house. Test their batteries every six months for their safe operation.

If you have a gas furnace or any other gas-powered appliance, these products are essential to your health and safety. Learn more about our battery carbon monoxide detectors by calling us at First Alert, Inc. any time. You may also visit us online at FirstAlert.com in order to receive more information about our products.